Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gain More Hours Everyday



I always hear people saying there's not enough hours in a day.  I for one have been known to say it back in college.  I remember days where I had two or three tests on the same day or just too much work had piled up and I sat there wishing to myself if only each day had a few more hours.

Well I can't add more hours to your day but I can tell you the next best thing.  Everyone has things that they do to procrastinate, some more than others but there is always something.  Did you know that the average American teenager spends 20 hours a week watching television? and 31 hours a week one their computer?  That account for 51 hours a week and that would be about 110 days of a year!  For our non-teen readers those numbers might be lower but you got to admit to yourself that you probably still have time in the day when you're doing very unproductive things. Now imagine if you can reallocate that time into more productive activities how much better your life could be.

Easier said than done? No, it's not that hard at all, it just takes a little willpower.  What I want you to do is spend one day just keeping track of everything you do every hour for an entire day.  Be honest here too, I don't want any cheating.  If for 3 hours you were on your computer "multi-tasking" studying, while also on facebook, AIM, and Gchat, with a movie playing on the side how much studying did you really get done?  Don't label those three hours as "studying."  At the end of the day before you go to sleep I want you to look back at this list and see what are things that you could cut down on or remove entirely, you may be surprised at how much time you are wasting.

Next thing I want you to do is create a list of things you wish you had more time to do.  Examples for me are: learn to cook, learn a new language, read more, and the list goes on.  Now that you have both lists you can start replacing unproductive activities with things that you always wished you could do.  Lets say you spend two hours a day on AIM, why not cut that down to one hour and replace the other hour learning a new recipe.  I am not suggesting that you completely remove your television, computer time or whatever, we all need some time to relax and unwind from our day and if that is how you do it that is great.  Let's just keep it to a reasonable amount of time.  Some people complain about being bored, well if you have this list of thing you want to learn whenever you find yourself bored, why not take it out and try learning/doing something on that list?

Try this out for a week I think you will be happy with the difference.  Also trying keeping track of everything you do for week to prevent yourself from cheating.  Every hour think about how you just spent it and if you're happy about with it.  This could be one small step to drastically improving your life.  Good luck and remember to have fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment